Tuesday, August 5, 2008

opportunities and muscular love

When I am burdened, it helps when people come to me with their own troubles. I am so thankful for the chance to listen to another's life for awhile, instead of just thinking about my own.

What a relief it is to extend love to another person by listening to them. Rain "dropping as the gentle rain from heaven upon the place beneath." Sweet, sweet mercy.

In the last few days, a few people have shared their burdens with me. Each of them has been distraught, unable to work/study, and has apologized profusely for making things a Big Deal. Also, each has ended her heart-rant with, "Whatever." And then apologized more for taking up my time, for dumping her problems, etc. etc.

"No," I say. "Thank you for trusting me."

When we run to God with our burdens, all babbling and weeping, I am sure he weeps with us, too. Yet I wonder if he also smiles a bit - because now, finally, he can show us how much he loves us. Now, he can squeeze us in his muscular love. Now, he can unleash rivers of his mercy to wash away our sins and sorrows.

In the midst of our weaknesses, God shows us who he is. His name is Love. And he also shows us how we are Loved -- powerfully, tenderly, eternally.

No comments: